Why are there black lines around the edges of my carpet?
This is probably the number one question we get here. That and can we make it go away? The answer is that it is filtration soiling and we may be able to get it off, there are a few factors.
“Filtration Soiling” is the term for those ugly black lines around the baseboards and under doorways. If you have light colored carpet, you may have experienced a dark mark around baseboards, under doors, and especially near the HVAC return. This soiling comes from air passing through the carpet as it is attempting to go through the edge of the carpet pile, microscopic particles of soil are deposited there (hence the term filtration soiling). This occurs over a significant period of time and is not noticed until a buildup has occurred.
How can I combat them?
- The first thing to do is to take the attachment tool of your vacuum and run it along the edges, every time you vacuum. This is not a guarantee of them staying away, but it may help keep them from appearing as quickly.
- Have your Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioner (HVAC) filters replaced on a consistent, regular basis.
- Keep doors open (eliminating gaps), if possible so air can move freely, keeping it from being forced into the carpet to avoid a closed door.
- Reduce the times you lit a candle indoors -consider switching to battery operated candles or candle warmers or an essential oil diffuser.
- Keep your home pollutant free as possible, such as regular dust removal.
- Don’t smoke indoors
- Use your stove vent when cooking
Be careful around the tack strip under the edge of the carpeting, you could nick your fingers!
Can it be removed? Sometimes, with special products, time and effort, reasonable results can be achieved, although not in all cases. This type of soiling is difficult to remove because the soil particles are so fine that they penetrate deep into the carpet pile, sometimes into the backing of the carpet. If the lines have been there a while or not treated, they are more difficult to get out. Below are some tips to get them out.
- Using a white terry cloth towel (to avoid dye transfer) using our cleaner to go along the edges and hand clean them. This make take several passes. Be sure to use caution to not damage your baseboards.
- Have your carpets professionally deep cleaned at least once per year.
From Davis to El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Lincoln and all points in between, we are here to help keep your home looking beautiful. Be sure to check out our before and after gallery to see our work.
Call us today to book your cleaning or complimentary estimate. (916) 348-7018